Not quite an action figure but it’s time for another Star Wars Bandai model kit! I love doing these and I wish more droid scale models existed!
This time I’m going to do BB-8 but I’ll being saving the R2-D2 from the kit for another time. Thanks for checking out Action Figure Toronto! Here we go!
Here’s the kit! I’m not going to go into much detail about actually constructing the kit as they are super simple to do and come together like a dream. If you haven’t done one of these I highly recommend them, you just need an exacto knife to cut the parts off the sprues, no glue is needed.
Check out my toolbox article to see what tools I use.
These are the sprues for BB-8 and R2-D2. Like I said, I’ll just be doing BB-8 and saving R2 for later.
I’m leaving the white and orange parts of the model the colour of the plastic but I’m going to paint over the metal parts as the plastic colour isn’t so great.
I’ve used silly putty to mask around the areas of the grey plastic that wont be visible to help avoid paint build up that can stop the parts fitting together. Like I said these kits fit together well and have a very tight tolerance.
Using my airbrush, I spray on a light coat of Vallejo’s Metal Colour Aluminum. The Vallejo Metal Colour line is absolutely amazing and my go to for any metal finishes.
I really should have used a coat of glossy black primer before doing this and if I did it again, I would. I feel the black primer makes the metal look much more realistic.
Here are the metallic parts snapped in and ready to go!
Next I hand paint on all the little lights on BB8’s sphere and we are ready to start weathering!
I’m keeping everything separate while I weather to make them easier to work with.
I’m using oil paints for my weathering. I like using these because the 24 hour drying time gives you tons of time to work, make corrections and cleanup the effect. You can basically rub it all off hours after putting it on.
The drying time can be a bit annoying at times but the results are worth the wait.
I’m going to use two techniques for this model. Applying the oil paint with a sponge and applying the oil paint as a wash. To thin the paints for the wash, I’m using Turpenoid with is an odorless turpentine substitute that’s completely harmless for all paints and plastics.
One thing to keep in mind if you are using art quality oil paints is they have linseed oil in them which is not good for weathering effects. It can greatly extended the drying times and it can also cause weird drying patterns.
I remove some of the linseed oil by letting the oil paints sit on cardboard for 15-20 minutes before painting. You will start to see a dark spot forming under your paint, that’s linseed oil.
Here is the results of the wash. To make the wash I just mix a little of the oil paint with the Turpenoid then apply it with a thin brush to each area.
You will want to experiment a bit with the ratio of paint to Turpenoid as different ratios can work better on different models.
Next I use a sponge with a bit of the oil paint and stipple the edges. This is great for adding some random natural looking weathering. You don’t want to go to crazy with this but it’s so much fun to do it’s easy to get carried away!
Here are the final results! The white areas got more defined dirt and the orange areas got a softer more spread out dirt. I basically just tried to copy what BB-8 looks like in the movie, the two areas should look different.
That’s it for the body! This is super easy to do and ends up looking great! Now its on to the head!
1: This is the head all put together. I painted the area on the head that will be under the lens black and I also painted a little red dot onto the inside of the clear lens. Technically this should be a light but it still gives a great little effect to the lens.
2: I painted a few other of the little details onto the head then applied the decals.
3: Here’s the head after the wash.
4: Then I stipple with the sponge just like with the body. Its super subtle but I tried to match the movie the best I could.
Easy peasy, that’s it for the head!
1: Last up is the little “thumbs up” flame accessory. It’s sort of hard to believe but the kit includes this little arm but with no flame so I had to make a flame. To make it, I just used some fabric glue and sculpted a little flame shape.
2: Then I paint the arm the same as the other parts and use Tamiya’s clear blue paint to do the flame.
Here’s my finished BB-8! To attach the head to the body I just have a little piece of silly putty so I can move it around. The clear plastic head stand he comes with in the kit is super lame and I didn’t want to use it.
I had a blast making this little guy and look forward to whatever droid I end up doing next!
Thanks for checking out Action Figure Toronto! Let me know what you think and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I don’t keep secrets!