This is a repaint of the Marvel Legends build a figure Hulkbuster. This figure is amazing but the huge obvious problem is how bad the paint application is. Nothing about the paint app is good, it just looks like a big plastic low quality toy.
Thanks for checking out Action Figure Toronto and reading my tutorial, let me know what you think and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I don’t keep secrets!
Check out the final figure here!
Here we go!
The first thing I did was prep the figure for the base coat. I cleaned up all the mold lines, filled in the peg holes on the legs and then washed the figure with soapy water.
The base coat is done with a metallic silver. The whole figure is covered in it but for whatever reason I didnt take a picture of the legs. This base coat is super important to the metallic look. Its going to be the reason the red looks metallic.
So this was the worst part of the whole project. The red parts of the model have to be applied from a rattle can or a airbrush to make them look smooth. If you try to apply this sort of layer with a brush it just ends up looking rough and uneven. That means I had to mask off every area I didn’t want to be red on every part of the figure.
This was such a pain that there is no way I would ever tackle another project with this much masking. It was really tedious and seriously made me almost forget about the project.
For the red I used Tamiya’s Clear Red. This is basically a acrylic gloss coat that tints whatever it covers red. So this clear red glossy top coat over our metallic base gives us an amazing hot rod metallic red.
This photo doesnt really do the paint job justice but when it was done I felt like all the masking was worth it.
The I used a Vallejo metallic gold on the areas I wanted gold.
I used a brush for most of this but ended up spraying the larger areas like the face and arm guards to make the paint application as smooth as possible.
Up next I used a few different washes to fill in some of the recessed areas.
I used a slightly different colour wash for each area which was just whatever that colour was but very dark.
I also took some time and cleaned up the general paint application mistakes from the mask and other general clean up.
This last step is always the most fun step. Weathering and effects!
I wanted my hulkbuster to be a bit beat up but not to look completely trashed.
For all the weathering I apply it with a piece of foam. I use a dry brush technique which means I dab the foam into the paint then dab the foam onto a piece of paper towl till 90% of the paint is gone, then I apply it to the model.
Really any foam is ok but something not a lot of people think about with this sort of thing is scale. The more dense the piece of foam the smaller the specs will be. You need to pick a piece of foam that will give you a spec size that makes sense for your project.
The first layer of weathering was a dirt/mud layer. If you look at the first photo you can see it clearly on the shoulder pad, chest, and the feet. This is a dark brown/red and I just apply it generally and into areas that would get more dirt on them.
Second layer is the silver chipping. Applied the same way with a metallic silver paint. I do a bit of general chips but most of the focus is on edges and places that it makes sense that chips would be.
Last layer for this is a darker silver chip. This is applied with a brush and I use it to give depth to the lighter silver chips. Most times I try to apply it to the top of the lighter chips but sometimes you just do whatever looks good.
Last thing is the glows. This are applied with an airbrush but you can 100% do this was a brush. Its just a lot harder.
Glows are done in two layers. First layer is a light light blue then you just paint over top of that with a dot of white.
Finally assembled! I ended up adding more white to the glows here but thats not important.
This project was a bit of a struggle at points but I couldn’t be happier with the final results. I just keep staring at it and smiling.
If you have any questions feel free to ask!